During the holiday season, it can be easy to get carried away and have one drink too many at a bar reuniting with family and friends. Here are five tips to help keep you and others safe during the holidays and to help prevent you from avoiding getting arrested for a DUI in California.
1. Have a designated driver. Planning who will be the designated driver should be your first plan of option to avoid drunk driving. If everyone is planning to go out and drink together and will be driving, make sure to that you designate a sober driver and check in with them periodically to ensure that they will still in fact be your safe ride home.
2. Use a ride sharing service like Lyft or Uber if not a taxi. Sometimes, taxis can be hard to hail, especially during the busy holiday season. Opt for ridesharing services like Uber, Lyft, or Sidecar if your city or town provides these services. Services like Lyft Line, which act as a carpool service, can be very affordable and can spare you needing the services of California DUI lawyers.
3. Buy a breathalyzer and test yourself frequently. This breathalyzer acts as a keychain and hooks in to your iPhone or Android and only costs around $50. The price is well worth it if you can consider the benefits it can provide versus the costs of being arrested for DUI.
4. Have a list of people you can call in case of emergency or overindulgence. If Uber or Lyft are not in your area and you and you have had one too many to drink, carry a list of people to call with you that you can try to reach to ask if they will pick you up. They will appreciate that you are being safe, and you will be doing everyone a service by taking precautions versus driving while intoxicated and possibly being arrested for DUI.
5. Call AAA. If you have AAA and have had too much to drink, you can call and they will be tow your car home for free. AAA provides this service, known as the Tow to Go Program, around the holidays to prevent drunk driving, and you should take advantage of this opportunity if you are in a bind.